Thursday, June 10, 2010

Dinner

I really love my slow cooker.
I have made this in the past in the oven to finish off or on the stovetop but today I did it in my slow cooker which meant I could stitch to my heart's content and let it simmer away without too much attention.
Now all I have to do is some couscous and roast some sweet potato (kumera) which I will toss in olive oil, cumin, salt and pepper and some crushed garlic.
A salad of onion, cucumber tomato and mint with a squeeze of lemon makes a nice fresh flavour with it
or a tzatziki would go well with it too.
If I was in Melbourne I would hunt out a pomegranate and scatter the ruby jewels through the couscous as well- Enjoy!

Moroccan Goat

For the goat:

1 tbspn olive oil
750g goat shoulder, cut into 4-5cm cubes
1 onion, finely diced
4 garlic cloves, crushed
1 can plum tomatoes, chopped
1 cinnamon stick
100g dried apricots, roughly chopped
pinch of saffron
goat or lamb stock or water

For the spice mixture:

1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground ginger
1 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp ground chilli
Maldon salt and freshly ground pepper

To garnish:
4 tbsp finely chopped coriander
1/2-1 tsp of harissa paste
zest and juice of half a lemon
1 tbsp honey

Place the olive oil in a large saucepan or casserole pan and put it over a moderate-high heat. When the oil is hot, add the onion to the pan and sweat for one minute until transparent.

Place all the spice mixture ingredients in a bowl and mix together until combined.
Toss the goat in the spices so that it is well coated. Add the spiced goat and garlic to the pan and seal the goat on all sides so that it is browned.

Stir in the chopped tomatoes, cinnamon stick, apricots, saffron and enough stock to just cover the goat. Bring to the boil then reduce to a slow simmer. Leave the goat to cook for 1 - 1 1/2 hours or until the meat is tender, stirring regularly with a wooden spoon (add more stock or water if the liquid is below the goat).

If the stew is too watery, drain off the excess liquid into a saucepan and reduce until thickened. Then return to the stew.

No comments:

Post a Comment